“He is the hunting song calling through the night.
The broken boy beneath the lash.
It ends where it begins.
It begins with him.”
So I have no idea how to rate this books because I wanted to love this book so bad! It has so much potential, but the execution was just lackluster. I guess I’m leaning towards 2 or 2.5 stars.
Things I didn’t like:
- This book is split into 4 parts, and each time there is a time jump. The thing is though, it never stated how much time had passed, so I didn’t even know that time had passed until it was casually mentioned in the story three chapters later. It was really confusing and hard to keep track of. I just wished at every divider, it was say how much time had passed like “two month later.”
- I was very confused if there was a romance. The main character has three guys in love with her, and she liked them all, but romance was such a small amount of the book that none of the guys had any real character development. I felt no attachment to any of them, and the main character was kind of horrible to them all.
- My biggest complain was that the plot was all over the place. It felt like there was no overarching plot, so it was just a bunch of little things that would get solved one by one. There was nothing to keep me invested. All the characters were one dimensional and felt like they were only there to forward the plot. The main character had no real flaws, and she had a very sanctimonious attitude that got old fast.
Things I liked:
- I loved the atmosphere of the Court of Miracles! It was very dark and sinister, and all the different guilds were super fun to learn about. I loved all the intricacies of the treaties and law of code. Learning and reading about their politics was super interesting
- In addition to all the Guilds, I loved the setting of Paris, after the revolution failed. During the reign of Louis XVII It really added to the desperation Nina had to save all those she cared about.
- I loved the heist aspects of the main character. She’s a cat burglar and much of the book is her scheming and pulling off exciting heists! She broke into the royal palace, prisons, and many more places!
“Do not cry for me, I am already dead.”
“No, not dead, the dead at least are free.”
So if you love heist stories and love squares, check out The Court of Miracles, otherwise it might be one you want to skip.