Hey friends! I was lucky enough to be selected to be on the blog tour for The Kinder Poison by Natalie Mae! Keep on reading to learn more about the book, author, and all my thoughts!
About the Book:
Perfect for fans of Victoria Aveyard and Holly Black, this enthralling fantasy adventure follows a teenage girl chosen to be the human sacrifice in a deadly game between three heirs who will do anything for the crown.
Zahru has long dreamed of leaving the kingdom of Orkena and having the kinds of adventures she’s only ever heard about in stories. But as a lowly Whisperer, herpower to commune with animals means that her place is serving in the royal stables until the day her magic runs dry.
All that changes when the ailing ruler invokes the Crossing: a death-defying race across the desert, in which the first of his heirs to finish—and take the life of a human sacrifice at the journey’s end—will ascend to the throne and be granted unparalleled abilities.
With all of the kingdom abuzz, Zahru leaps at the chance to change her fate if just for a night by sneaking into the palace for a taste of the revelry. But the minor indiscretion turns into a deadly mistake when she gets caught up in a feud between the heirs and is forced to become the Crossing’s human sacrifice. Zahru is left with only one hope for survival: somehow figuring out how to overcome the most dangerous people in the world.
About the Author:
Natalie Mae is an ex-programmer, dessert enthusiast, and author of young adult novels. She has also been a freelance editor and Pitch Wars mentor, and feels it notable to mention she once held a job where she had to feed spiders. She now writes full-time at home with a bag of dark chocolates in one hand and a leopard cat on her lap. She is most definitely not checking Instagram right now.
This book really surprised me with how much I enjoyed it! I don’t know what I expected, but this book delivered in anything I could ask for.
Things I liked:
- I initially picked it up because it was being compared to Red Queen, which I really enjoyed back in the day, and it did remind me of that book. However, The Kinder Poison was very diverse, and the setting was much more rich and atmospheric! So if you loved the Red Queen series, I think you might enjoy this one even more.
- The plot was something that had me on the edge of my seat the entire book. While it did take a bit to fully get into, one I hit the 25% mark, I was hooked. One showing revelation was revealed after the next, and I was never bored. The race to become the supreme ruler was intense and full of betrayals that never left a dull moment in this book! If you love the politics and plotting of The Cruel Prince, you’ll definitely enjoy all the intricacies of The Kinder Poison.
- The setting also really added to the plot. This is an adventure/quest story, and the main character travels across her fantastical country, encountering many different terrains, and I loved all the descriptions of each and every one. Each place brought new challenges, and like I said earlier, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time!
- I also really liked the love triangle in this book (surprisingly :P) Both brothers were very different, and they reacted to situations in the opposite manner, so it was amusing to read about their interactions. I also liked how they juxtaposed the two because one starts out very good and the other evil, but as the book progresses, the lines get blurred.
My only complaint was the main character was a little too naive at times, and she made many stupid decisions. That got old a bit too quickly, but I was able to look past it after we got to see the many different locations! Overall, I think the synopsis said it all: if you love Red Queen, or any of Holly Black’s books, make sure The Kinder Poison is on your tbr!
- Prize: Win (1) of (5) copies of THE KINDER POISON by Natalie Mae (US Only)
- Starts: 10th June 2020
- Ends: 24th June 2020
Click this link or the image below to enter the Rafflecopter giveaway!